Vacation time is not always used. In fact, according to the U.S. Travel Association, last year more than 768 million vacation days went unused. Research shows that individuals who plan are more likely to use all of their time off, take more vacation days at once, and report greater levels of happiness at work and at home.
The U.S. Travel Association reminds us that the National Plan For Vacation Day is January 28, 2020. Americans are earning even more days off than last year yet less time is used! But more than half (55%) of American workers report not using all their days off—totaling 768 million unused vacation days, up 9% from 2017. What’s more, 236 million of those days were forfeited completely—equaling $65.5 billion in lost benefits and an individual average of $571 in donated work time.
The majority (83%) of Americans want to use their time off to travel—but they aren’t. And that lost opportunity is costing us. If Americans used their days off to travel, the economic opportunity for the industry—and the U.S.—amounts to $151.5 billion in additional travel spending, creating an additional 2 million American jobs.
The North Carolina Bed and Breakfast Inns association invites you to use your vacation time here in the beautiful North Carolina. The organization VisitNC reported the following facts about North Carolina tourism:
- North Carolina is the 6th most visited state in the nation. Around 24 billion dollars are spent on travel to North Carolina each year.
- In 2018, approximately 40 million overnight person-trips were taken in North Carolina.
- Overnight visitors to North Carolina spent an average of 3.4 nights in the state in 2018.
- In 2018, more than 90% of domestic overnight visitors came to North Carolina for leisure purposes, which included visiting friends and relatives, outdoor recreation and entertainment/sightseeing.
- While North Carolina has a strong history of being a leisure travel state, the leisure proportion has increased from 81% in 2014 to more than 90% in 2018.
- More than one-fourth (28%) of 2018 overnight visitors to North Carolina spent time with relatives and shopped (27%) while in the state.
- More than half of North Carolina overnight visitors feel they need at least one vacation a year and nearly half also indicate that they travel as often as possible.
- 92% of overnight visitors to North Carolina in 2018 were either very or extremely satisfied with their visit.
- Both resident and out-of-state visitors express high satisfaction with their vacation time in North Carolina.
You will be happier if you take the time off that you’ve been given. You’ll also be glad that your vacation time was enjoyed here in North Carolina. From the majestic mountains in the West, to the central Piedmont area, to the Crystal Coast. You are welcome to stay at any of our luxurious member inns located across the state. Please don’t leave vacation time on the table–you deserve to use it!