America’s first grapevine was discovered on the North Carolina coast in 1584. Those roots have since flourished – today nearly 200 wineries and more vineyards cover the landscape from our mountains to our coast. Explore them in the Yadkin Valley, on a designated wine trail, or on your own amazing wine tasting at wonderful North Carolina vineyards.
The most visited winery in the United States is the historic winery on Biltmore’s 8,000-acre estate nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Asheville, North Carolina. Biltmore Winery has grown and tested numerous varietals. Six varietals – Riesling, Chardonnay, Viognier, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot – have been especially well-suited for their western North Carolina terrain and the unique climate of the Biltmore Estate.
Complimentary tastings, an indoor/outdoor wine bar, a “Behind-the-Scenes Winery Tour & Tasting”, specialty wine experiences, and more are part of your distinctive experience at America’s most-visited winery, located in the heart of Antler Hill Village. Let our wine hosts to take you on a memorable journey through award-winning reds, whites, and rosés as you make your selections from among more than 20 of their handcrafted vintages. Take your time at their beautifully designed wine bar where you can savor their reserve and sparkling wines by the glass as well as delicious cheeses, charcuterie, and locally-made truffles.
Expand your palette with their specialty wine experience tours and tastings. Go behind the scenes with a guided tour of Biltmore Winery’s production facility or enjoy the classic pairing of red wine and chocolate. Want to see their gorgeous vineyards? Biltmore’s exclusive “Vine to Wine Vineyard Tour & Tasting” combines an excursion over the river to our breathtaking vineyards on the west side of Biltmore (an area that most guests never see) with a walking production tour and wine tastings throughout the experience.
Other Notable North Carolina Wineries Include:
- Stony Mountain Vineyards (Albemarle)
- Banner Elk Winery (Banner Elk)
- Grandfather Vineyard & Winery (Banner Elk)
- Deep Creek Winery (Bryson City)
- Chatham Hill Winery (Cary)
- Cougar Run Winery (Concord)
- Honey Girl Meadery (Durham)
- Appalachian Ridge Artisan Cidery (Hendersonville)
- Burnt Shirt Vineyards (Hendersonville)
- St. Paul Mountain Vineyards (Hendersonville)
- Douglas Vineyards Wines (Kannapolis)
- Addison Farms Vineyard (Leicester)
- Iron Gate Winery and Vineyards (Mebane)
- South Creek Vineyards & Winery (Nebo)
- Silver Coast Winery (Ocean Isle Beach)
- JOLO Winery & Vineyards (Pilot Mountain)
- Yadkin Valley Wine Trail (Pinnacle)
- Silk Hope Winery (Pittsboro)
- Starrlight Mead (Pittsboro)
- Overmountain Vineyards (Tryon)
During your exploration on North Carolina’s vineyards and vineries, you are welcome to stay at our luxurious North Carolina Bed and Breakfast Inns. Located across the state, our member inns represent the finest in hospitality, cuisine, and accommodations.