Did you know Nicholas Sparks lives in North Carolina? Yes, that is right. The famous novelist, screenwriter, and producer lives in New Bern, North Carolina. As one of the world’s most beloved storytellers, Nicholas Sparks chooses North Carolina as the setting for most of his writing. Many of his books have been made into successful movies, some of which were also filmed in North Carolina.
- Message in a Bottle (1999) is a romantic drama film starring Kevin Costner, Robin Wright, and Paul Newman. It was filmed partly in Wilmington, North Carolina.
- A Walk to Remember (2002) is an American coming-of-age romantic drama starring Shane West, Mandy Moore, Peter Coyote, and Daryl Hannah that was also filmed in Wilmington, North Carolina.
- Nights in Rodanthe (2008) is an American romantic drama film starring Richard Gere and Diane Lane. Filmed in the small seaside village of Rodanthe, the northernmost village of inhabited areas of Hatteras Island as well as North Topsail Beach, North Carolina.
- Safe Haven (2013) starring Julianne Hough, Josh Duhamel, and Cobie Smulders was filmed partly in Wilmington, Southport. The opening scene shows a bus ride on the Linn Cove Viaduct along the Blue Ridge Parkway near Grandfather Mountain in Linville, North Carolina.
- The Longest Ride (2015) is an American Neo Western romantic drama starring Scott Eastwood, Britt Robertson, Jack Huston, Oona Chaplin, and Alan Alda which features Jacksonville, Wilmington, and Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- The Choice (2016) is an American romantic drama starring Benjamin Walker, Teresa Palmer, and Maggie Grace. Filming took place in Wilmington, North Carolina as well as in Wrightsville Beach at the Dockside Restaurant & Bar and Bridge Tender Marina as well as the Hanover Seaside Club.
Nicholas Sparks was quoted, “I’m writing a new love story, set in eastern North Carolina. Surprise, surprise, huh?” In all seriousness, his books have done a lot to boost tourism in North Carolina.
The North Carolina Bed and Breakfast Inns is an association of regularly inspected inns that reassures guests that they are lodging in both comfort and luxury. Our member inns are located all across North Carolina. Bring along some Nicholas Sparks books during your visits to our scenic and romantic inns. Tour some of the actual places in North Carolina where his movies have been filmed. This could be a romantic trip for two!
This is a YouTube video of Good Morning America interviewing Nicholas Sparks and leading actors Benjamin Walker and Teresa Palmer from his most recent North Carolina film “The Choice”