North Carolina is well-known for the Wright Brothers and their aviation accomplishments in Kitty Hawk on the coast of NC. Depending on who you believe, NC deserves bragging rights as “First in Flight.”
But with summer vacations and special celebrations in full swing, we’re thinking about a different way to experience North Carolina — from above the tree lines in a hot air balloon. We talked to a few of the companies offering hot air balloon rides and they say people come for a host of reasons:
- Unforgettable marriage proposal
- Anniversary celebration
- Retirement send off
- Cross off bucket list
- Birthday gift
- Family reunion
- Unusual elopement or wedding venue
From any area of the state, you’ll find plenty of excellent choices for your hot air balloon ride. Most are open year round, weather permitting. Of course, we hope you’ll stay at a member NC Bed & Breakfast or Inn nearby. Check the directory of member inns here.
New to Hot Air Ballooning?
- Most hot air balloon flights are between 45 – 60 minutes long, depending on wind speed when you take flight, but plan to spend about 3 hours for the whole experience.
- Most hot air balloon baskets can hold anywhere from 2-8 passengers during a single ride and most outfitters offer private ride packages – very romantic!
- Most balloon rides float at altitudes somewhere between 500 and 2000 feet.
- Balloon rides take place in the early morning and late afternoon because that’s when the winds are at their most stable.
- Most balloons are larger than your house. The average balloon height is 70 feet and they hold from 19,000 to 211,000 cubic feet of air.
A quick Google search will serve up lots of links to hot air balloon ride companies close to your B&B.
We’d love to see your photos. Be sure to post them on the NC Bed and Breakfast Inns Association Facebook page.