For culinary creativity, try this delicious recipe from a North Carolina B&B . . .
- Caramel Crumb Bars from Kings Daughters Inn
- These chewy bars are a hit at the King's Daughters Inn in Durham.
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|36 bars||30 minutes||30 minutes|
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9"x13" baking sheet with parchment paper; grease and flour.
- In a mixer, beat together 1 cup butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until fluffy.
- Add 2 1/4 cups flour; mix.
- Transfer 3/4 of the dough to a pan; press into bottom; chill.
- Rub remaining dough and 1/4 cup flour into large crumbles; set aside.
- Combine remaining butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and condensed milk in a 2 quart sauce pan. Cook, stirring over medium high heat to make caramel, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour over dough; scatter crumbles over top.
- Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool. Cut into bars.
Caramel crumb bars make a nice dessert with whipped cream or ice cream.